Thursday, September 4, 2008

On a pleasant sunny day...

Despite my best efforts (honestly) I don't seem to work very often in this country.

Today, I have been thwarted in my grade-giving schemes by an unknown Buddist holiday, which has brought 52 different schools from around the province to our football field/courtyard. Every school has set up a little stand, and the kids are wandering around between them filling out some informational homework sheet they have. Its interesting because I expected my kids to be thier typical little rug-rats selves, but everyone seems very...contented. Its extremely pleasant and oddly calming walking around outside; whereas I am usually assulted by overly assertive "hello! teacher! hello! shake hands!'' every two steps I take outside of my office, today I get students casually sliding up to my side, smiling sweetly, walking along with me for a bit just to keep my company, maybe through is a bit of English or smile and point together at a display, and then parting ways again. I'm enjoying the change in interaction style. Even the sun seems less intense today :)

I'm leaving soon, and am getting pretty sad about it. I feel like I've only recently gotten to really know my students, to recognize and appriciate their personalities, and for them to know me more. Since I first came here, I have been running into my students around town, but at first they would recognize me and I would have no idea which of my 800 students they were... or even if they were really my student, or just a kid of the right age bracket who felt like saying hi. Then we progressed to the point where I legitimately recognized them as one of "mine", but couldn't place their personalities persay. Now, not only am I recognized but I recognize; I can appriciate when the typicaly wild child is being sweet, or enjoy seeing that some of my favorite students from different classes are friends in "real life". I'm learning backstories, and it makes me feel much more connected to the community here then I have been, which is something that I have missed since moving, and will be sad to leave again so soon.

Two weeks...

1 comment:

holy roller said...

you sound like a teacher