Sunday, August 31, 2008

Rainy season

While technically the entire time I've been in Thailand has been the rainy season, its only resently that I have really noticed it. Last week we had our first true downpour. It was great. The streets were completely flooded around my school, our motorbike made bubbles in the water as we drove (very slowly) down the street and Mia and I did cartwheels on an island of unflooded area in the middle of the school courtyard... which resulted in cheers and applause from all the kids on the surrounding buildings' balconies :) As the floodwaters rose, school was cancelled and the kids came out of the balconies (now that they could safely get their uniforms wet) to play in the waves made by passing trucks, while Mia and I sat in the office drying off and watching Arrested Development on my computer. It was great fun; I kept having flashbacks to swimming in the streets with Maura as a kid when our neighborhood flooded one year- one of my favorite childhood memories. Mia got some great pics from her camera phone, I'll try to post those soon :-)

No comments: